Review: Original Sin by Allison Brennan

Friday, April 2, 2010

Description:

Haunted by chilling memories of demonic possession and murder, Moira O’Donnell has spent seven years hunting down her mother, Fiona, whose command of black magic has granted her unprecedented control of the underworld. Now Moira’s global search has led her to a small California town that’s about to become hell on earth.
Tormented by his own terrifying past and driven by powers he can’t explain, ex-seminarian Rafe Cooper joins Moira’s dangerous quest. But Fiona is one devilish step ahead. Hungry for greater power, eternal youth, and stunning beauty, the sorceress is unleashing upon the mortal world the living incarnations of the Seven Deadly Sins.
Together with a demonologist, a tough female sheriff, and a pair of star-crossed teenagers, Moira and Rafe are humanity’s last chance to snatch salvation from the howling jaws of damnation.

Review:

I received this book as a review copy from Meryl L. Moss Media Relations, Inc. and started it in February. As you can see it took me forever to finish this one. Here are a few reason why I think this is not my kind of book:
1. The beginning of the book confused me. All the background information you get is scattered through the story line and I had problems trying to keep up. It felt like a bit too much from time to time. 
2. I don't really like Moira. Always a bad sign for a book. For me it felt like Ms. Brennan doesn't want us to like Moira or perhaps Moira is just not a person I would like. Moira doesn't even like herself. Perhaps it was just too dark for me.
3. This book is written out of so many POVs and it was way too many for me. I can live with 2 or 3 but here we have way too many for my taste. And I have to admit I didn't really like characters. Rafe was okay but his appearance was too late to save the book in my eyes.
4. I thought this book was categorized as paranormal romance but it's not really one. Not enough romance for my taste. I would call it urban fantasy if it would play in a bigger city. I'm not sure which genre it really is.

Okay now to the things I liked and enjoyed:
1. The mystical background was intriguing and I liked how Ms. Brennan created the world itself.
2. Rafe is wonderful character. I really enjoyed his part in the book. I wanted to figure him out and why all that stuff (won't say what cuz of spoilers and all) happened to him.
3. The end was thrilling and I devoured the last 100 pages or so.
All in all I was a bit disappointed that I didn't like the book as much as I thought I would. I read so many great reviews. But after all it's good that we don't all like the same things or this world would really be boring.

I would recommend this books to lovers of dark urban fantasy who like this genre even without a big romance in it.



To learn more about Allison Brennan and her books please visit her homepage here.

You can read other reviews of Original Sin @
GoodReads.


You can buy the book @BookDepository

13 comments:

Pearl said...

I had the same trouble with this book as you did and on top of that I am not a fan of Dark Urban Fantasy. However the multiple POVs didn't bother me so much, for me it was the very little to no romance and Moira...I couldn't get into her character.

I am happy to see I was not the only one who had these problems with the book. And I've learned to tone my expectations down a bit...

Hugs,
Pearl

Blodeuedd said...

Always sad when you do not end up loving a book that so many others loved :(

Leontine said...

What a bummer you didn't get in to the story and didn't like Moira :( It is a huge thing for me too if I can't connect with one of the leading characters, then it becomes sheer will power to finish it. I really enjoyed this book and the promise of a romance, joined by the ongoing plot, is what makes me look forward to the next novel :)

Happy Easter hon, may it be filled with family and friends, and better books then this one!

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I've heard others say that this isn't really a romance, and that it didn't get good until the last part of the book-I don't think I have enough patience to wait that long for a book to get good!

Patti (Book Addict) said...

I'm reading this one now...not far enough in to make any judgements though. Nice,honest review!

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

i've seen such different takes on this book - it seems like some people love it while others not so much. I think I'm one of the few peeps that actually like 1st person POV because you can really get to know the character alot better. With shifting 3rd person POV sometimes I get lost..

Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

SusiSunshine said...

@Pearl The funny thing is I usually like dark uf but this book was kind of strange to me. I'm happy I'm not alone too. ;)

@Blodeuedd yep made me sad. But there will be better books again. Or so I hope.

@Leontine Exactly. That's how felt. I wanted to finish but I couldn't find the energy or the motivation. But I did it! That makes me proud. I think I agree with Pearl there. Not enough romance for me.

@A Buckeye Girl Reads It was a really long wait for me. Leontine on the other hand really liked it. You like uf even without romance?

@Heather This book made me feel really lost. I like perhaps 2 different POVs, hero/heroine or good/bad guy but this was way too much for me. And her voice was not different enough to me to get the change ASAP. Have a great weekend too hon!

Smokinhotbooks said...

I need a little bit of romance in my books otherwise I go through withdrawals or something.

Lea said...

Hey Susi:

Sorry this one didn't work for you but you know what they say, "what floats one person's boat sinks another". lol

I'm not sure this would be my sort of read either!

Hey, you have a great weekend!

L

Donna said...

I loved this book, and enjoyed the different POVs, for me was one of the stronger points in the book. Rafe was my favorite character too, so mysterious - that's just sexy. Sorry this one didn't work for you but we can't like 'em all. :( From what I've seen in the reviews for this book, people either liked it or didn't. I guess it's one of those hit or miss type of books. Nice, honest review, can't asked for anything better. :)

SusiSunshine said...

@Smokinhotbooks That was how I felt.

@Lea So true hon. Hope you have a fab weekend too!

@Donna I think you are right about the hit or miss. Thanks!

Alexia561 said...

Sorry this book didn't work out for you, but I liked how you listed what you did and didn't like about the book. While it was confusing at first, I eventually got into it and enjoyed it enough that I'm looking forward to the sequel. Great review! And hope your next book works out better for you!

SusiSunshine said...

@Alexia I really wanted to like it. Perhaps I had to high expectations. Who knows!

Post a Comment

Stats

Book Lovers Inc.

All the HEAs

3 1/2 stars (1) 4 1/2 stars (1) 4 stars (1) about happy books (1) Allie Beckstrom (1) Allison Brennan (1) Ann Aguirre (2) Anne Stuart (2) Annemarie Hartnett (3) audiobooks (1) baby (2) bags (2) ballwinder (1) Bethany Kane (1) BLI (3) Blodeuedd (1) Blood and Shadows (1) Bolero (1) Book Addiction (1) Book Lovers Inc (4) books (1) Cardigan (5) Carolyn Jewel (1) charlotte Featherstone (1) Chevry (1) Christina Henry (1) covers (6) cowboys (1) craziness (1) Cynthia Eden (1) Darynda Jones (1) Daybreak (2) Deidre Knight (2) Devon Monk (1) diy (1) DNF (1) Earworm of the Week (4) Emma Holly (1) Erin McCarthy (1) erotica (7) eurovision (1) FO Friday (4) Gena Showalter (1) Guest HEAs (3) guest review (1) guestposting (1) hat (1) historical (1) Ilona Andrews (2) inez kelley (2) J.D. Robb (1) Jaci Burton (3) Jean Brashear (1) Jill Sorenson (1) Joely Sue Burkhart (5) Joey W. Hill (1) Julia Barrett (7) Karen MacInerney (1) Keri Arthur (2) Kevin Hearne (1) Kirsten Kapur (1) knitting (8) Kresley Cole (1) Krista D. Ball (1) Lauren Dane (4) Lea closetreader (1) Leanna Renee Hieber (1) Leslie Parrish (1) Lexi Ryan (2) Linda Howard (1) Linda Jones (1) LIsa Kleypas (1) Lorelei James (1) Lucani Lovers (3) Malabrigo Yarn (1) Marked Series (3) Maya Banks (6) megan hart (5) Middlemarch Mates (1) Moira Rogers (8) monthly HEAs (4) Olivia Cunning (1) originally posted at The Geeky Bookworm (86) Paris (1) play by play (1) review (94) Richelle Mead (1) Riley Jenson (2) Robert E. Crull (1) Robyn Carr (2) Rough Riders (1) S.J. Day (3) Sara Brookes (1) Saskia Walker (1) Shannon McKelden (1) shawls (7) Shelley Munro (1) Sherry Thomas (1) Shiloh Walker (2) Sirantha Jax (2) Southern Arcana (3) Stacia Kane (1) Star Runner (1) steeking (1) Stephanie Julian (4) Stephen West (3) Stilettos INC (2) Susi (3) Sweet Series (3) Sydney Somers (1) Taygete (1) Teal Ceagh (3) The Connaghers (2) The Edge Series (1) The House of Rohan (1) The Travises (1) Tina Donahue (2) Tracey O'Hara (1) tracy cooper-posey (1) Victoria Dahl (4) WIP (5) WIP Wednesday (6)

Popular Posts

  © On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 Modified by SusiSunshine   © Secret HEA Society 2010

Back to TOP