Review: Beloved Vampire by Joey W. Hill

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Description:
After escaping the depraved servitude of a vampire master she killed, Jessica has found her way, with three nomadic guides, to the sun-baked desolation of the Sahara-only to slowly perish. Then she hears the tale of Farida, an enigmatic beauty lost as well to the Sahara three centuries ago, whose ancient desire for the legendary vampire Lord Mason is stirring the same desires in Jessica. But the more Jessica's fatal curiosity reveals of Farida, the closer she gets to Lord Mason's irresistible and forbidden secret.
(by goodreads.com)


Review:
This is the fourth book in the Vampire Queen series but I have to admit I haven’t read the previous books. I won this one at a contest at the Knight Agency’s Blog and started directly with this one because it’s written to be read as a stand alone.

The first thing I noticed was the wonderful way Joey W. Hill writes. Her writing is like listening to music and her voice is just unique. I loved the way she jumps between different narrators. Okay, at the beginning that was a little confusing but I loved it more and more while reading this book. Her characters seem to be alive and real so I had to remind myself that this whole story is really just a story.



Jessica is one of the strongest characters I ever read about. No, she’s not one of these kick-ass chicks but she is so strong from within that I had to admire her. She lived through 5 years of brutal torture and multiple abuse and rape by a vampire master and his cronies. She is broken inside, no wonder after these years, but with the help of Lord Mason she discovers her will again and tries to fight these memories which still haunt her. She has throwbacks in her progress but this only made her more believable and real in my eyes.

Lord Mason is one of those tortured with the past heroes. He still can’t let go of his one great love although she died 300 years ago. He loved her and he thinks the guilt for her death lies with him. He sees in Jessica a way to safe her soul and perhaps redeem his own. He’s a real master, not only in the vampire world but also in the bedroom. He wants her submission but how to get it without reminding her of her past?

He has to find ways to show her that not all vampires are bad and that submitting is not the same as surrender after being brutalized.



The relationship between these two is developing really slow but this was the only possible way for it to be in this kind of situation. Jessica needs time to develop a foundation of trust and her past with vampires is a great burden for this goal. They both take only small steps but they won my heart with this.

In this book you have to wait long to get to the smex. Do you remember the books where the hero teases the heroine so long that she feel like bursting from being aroused more than mankind can imagine? You will so know what that means after reading this book. It’s not like nothing happens in the first 350 pages but the real smex is exclusive in the last hundred pages. That isn’t bad at all but at some points I could have screamed: “Now!!!!! Please!”

The overall plot was a bit lacking in my opinion. But perhaps I just couldn’t grip it because I haven’t read the first books. Some things were solved too easily and others felt like being a bit magnified. Luckily the emotional development between Mason and Jessica was so great that I didn’t mind the not so good main plot, not at all. Joey W. Hill is a great writer and I enjoyed this book and will buy all the others in this series ASAP.


To learn more about Joey W. Hill and her books please visit her website
here.



The Vampire Queen Series:

1. Vampire Queen’s Servant:

reviews @goodreads, buy @amazon


2. The Mark of the Vampire Queen:

reviews @goodreads, buy @amazon


3. A Vampire’s Claim:

reviews @goodreads, buy @amazon


4. Beloved Vampire:

reviews @goodreads, buy @amazon


5. Vampire Mistress (release May 2010)

14 comments:

Sara Brookes said...

Oh! I'm just finishing up the second, Mark of the Vampire Queen, and Lord Mason just showed up to assist the main characters in this book. I am so glad to hear that he gets his own book!

pattepoilue said...

I've been wondering about this book since you mentioned it when you won the book.
The only thing that keeps me from ordering it right now is that i think it might be better to start with the first book of the series...but you know i'm a bit lazy and i'm not sure i'll have the time right now to read them all lol
Since you found it easy to read without reading the previous ones i might read this one anyway.
lol i'm babbling, don't mind the crazy French girl
Great review Susi i really feel tempted every time i read one of your reviews! Damn it! ;)

SusiSunshine said...

@Sara I so have to get the first ones and I'm so curious about what happened to all the side characters before this story. I so love her style of writing.

@pattepoilue I had no problem reading it out of order and as you see I want to read the other books nonetheless I already know what will happen. I'm really curious about how all this... ähem things I can't say now...happened. And I love your babbling. Always so happy to read what you think. *hugs*

Tracy said...

I've been wondering about this book. I've heard some pretty good reviews about it but was unsure.

Although I hate those kindof books that really drag on in a sense when it comes to smexy time. Granted I don't want it on page 1 but the teasing gets old after a while!

But I might just have to give this one a chance :)

Thanks for the review!

SusiSunshine said...

@Tracy It really was the hottest teasing I ever read and the longest.LOL You really should give it a try.

Jill D. said...

Oh man, this one is your first? I have read all the books in this series and this one was my least favorite. If you get a chance I definitely recommend reading the other books. Jacob and Lyssa's story are the first two and then Danni and Dev's is the third. You could read Danni and Dev's out of order, but read the 1st of Jacob and Lyssa's before you read the 2nd. Sorry I can't remember the titles, but Joey Hill has the reading order on her website.

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

Hey Susi! I am glad to see your review of this one. I have read the first two. The Vampire Queen's Servant and The Mark of the Vampire Queen. I have to say that I loved the first and the second left me.... the word.... not sure. Not happy, but that is not entirely true. I was glad to found out what happens... but I wish there could have been more. We do meet Mason in the second book and he seems like a very "passionate" person.
Thank you for your review! The other two books are stand alone. The characters just flow in and out of the first two books. I hope you have a great weekend!

Blodeuedd said...

It does sound good, but I dunno. After her horrible past he wants her still to be submissive. Couldn't he just let that go even if she does learn to trust him

SusiSunshine said...

@Jill The others are better? I really have to get those!

@Cecile I'm so curious about the first books. Mason is really passionate and a really strong character. Hope you have a great Sunday too!

@Blodeuedd This possibility is discussed in great detail. He wants her to choose what life she wants to live. She is free to go away and to life without any vampires at all. But deep inside he wants her to stay but he would never pressure her to do as he wants.

Leontine said...

Hi Susi - I am in the middle of her Mermaid series and Joey W Hill is one of my discoveries of 2009, she also gave me a rare 5 star read with A Witch's Beauty ;D After reading this review I am so going to try out her vampire series!!!

SusiSunshine said...

@Leontine Oh I will definitely take a look at her other series too. Her style is just great! And I'm really curious about A Witch's Beauty.

Marissa said...

OK, I am a Joey W. Hill virgin... never read one of her books, but since everyone is raving and ranting about her, I now want to try her books myself! Great review!

Donna said...

I haven't read anything by Joey W. Hill, your review makes me think I should definitely give her a try. Plus, I remember Leontines's rave review on A Mermaid's Kiss. Enjoyed your reviews, thanks!

SusiSunshine said...

@Marissa You will not regret reading her books. I enjoyed her style.

@Donna One of the best discoveries for me this year! I'm really happy I won this book.

Post a Comment

Stats

Book Lovers Inc.

All the HEAs

3 1/2 stars (1) 4 1/2 stars (1) 4 stars (1) about happy books (1) Allie Beckstrom (1) Allison Brennan (1) Ann Aguirre (2) Anne Stuart (2) Annemarie Hartnett (3) audiobooks (1) baby (2) bags (2) ballwinder (1) Bethany Kane (1) BLI (3) Blodeuedd (1) Blood and Shadows (1) Bolero (1) Book Addiction (1) Book Lovers Inc (4) books (1) Cardigan (5) Carolyn Jewel (1) charlotte Featherstone (1) Chevry (1) Christina Henry (1) covers (6) cowboys (1) craziness (1) Cynthia Eden (1) Darynda Jones (1) Daybreak (2) Deidre Knight (2) Devon Monk (1) diy (1) DNF (1) Earworm of the Week (4) Emma Holly (1) Erin McCarthy (1) erotica (7) eurovision (1) FO Friday (4) Gena Showalter (1) Guest HEAs (3) guest review (1) guestposting (1) hat (1) historical (1) Ilona Andrews (2) inez kelley (2) J.D. Robb (1) Jaci Burton (3) Jean Brashear (1) Jill Sorenson (1) Joely Sue Burkhart (5) Joey W. Hill (1) Julia Barrett (7) Karen MacInerney (1) Keri Arthur (2) Kevin Hearne (1) Kirsten Kapur (1) knitting (8) Kresley Cole (1) Krista D. Ball (1) Lauren Dane (4) Lea closetreader (1) Leanna Renee Hieber (1) Leslie Parrish (1) Lexi Ryan (2) Linda Howard (1) Linda Jones (1) LIsa Kleypas (1) Lorelei James (1) Lucani Lovers (3) Malabrigo Yarn (1) Marked Series (3) Maya Banks (6) megan hart (5) Middlemarch Mates (1) Moira Rogers (8) monthly HEAs (4) Olivia Cunning (1) originally posted at The Geeky Bookworm (86) Paris (1) play by play (1) review (94) Richelle Mead (1) Riley Jenson (2) Robert E. Crull (1) Robyn Carr (2) Rough Riders (1) S.J. Day (3) Sara Brookes (1) Saskia Walker (1) Shannon McKelden (1) shawls (7) Shelley Munro (1) Sherry Thomas (1) Shiloh Walker (2) Sirantha Jax (2) Southern Arcana (3) Stacia Kane (1) Star Runner (1) steeking (1) Stephanie Julian (4) Stephen West (3) Stilettos INC (2) Susi (3) Sweet Series (3) Sydney Somers (1) Taygete (1) Teal Ceagh (3) The Connaghers (2) The Edge Series (1) The House of Rohan (1) The Travises (1) Tina Donahue (2) Tracey O'Hara (1) tracy cooper-posey (1) Victoria Dahl (4) WIP (5) WIP Wednesday (6)

Popular Posts

  © On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 Modified by SusiSunshine   © Secret HEA Society 2010

Back to TOP