Guest-Review: Dream State by Robert E. Crull

Thursday, January 28, 2010

No cubes here today. I've got a surprise for you and me. I've got my first guest reviewer here today. YAY!!!! And it's a special one, too. The bestest ever. It's my wonderful boyfriend who will review for you a book I thought would not be too gentle to my stomach. LOL 
So please be gentle and welcome The BF, finally stepping into the digital world with me.


Description:
 

By day a predator harbors gruesome thoughts that he wraps in a cloak of secrecy . . . at night he unleashes them without restraint.

How much of ourselves do we reveal to the outside world? Is it just enough to accomplish what we need to in our daily lives … domestically, socially, and professionally? Where does the rest of the human puzzle fit in – the sinister, shadowy pieces? Some of us conceal these facets so that they never see the light of day. But others express them during the chilling hours of the night. You will be captivated and mesmerized by the story of Drew, an eccentric man who by sunlight lusts for power, and by moonlight performs horrific, deadly acts. Dream State is a compelling tale that tackles human nature, reveals human longings, and exposes human vulnerabilities. Will self-absorption and personal cravings push Drew to act out as the ultimate predator? Prepare yourself for a spine-tingling adventure as you read Dream State, an absorbing novel of venomous lust.


Review:

I'm usually disinclined to read something from an author who is fresh on the market. You never know what awaits you. In this case I was surprised to find a well developed and at times thrilling style of writing which makes up for the overall too
thin storyline.

The main character - one Drew Sovern - appears to be "`only"' a cold blooded killer, who enjoys ultimate control and supremacy over his victims. We enter the story to witness his latest excourse to "feed his powers". After the first chapter you begin to
wonder about the reason behind his actions. Is it because of the mysterious voice in his head that speaks in bold letters and persuades or forces him to do things or rather - as is described in later chapters by means of flashbacks - some primeval urge to give in to rage and hatred like a sith-lord. Perhaps all of us have some kind of inner voice, the only question is whether to ignore and subdue it or to give in to it. Drew is not able to do this filtering and that entitles him to sympathy of a sort, as he is not and would never be able to experience love and friendship.

Later there emerges a seemingly unrelated plot about one Anne-Marie whose husband Andy lies in a coma for three years after a car-crash. While we visit the episodes of Drew the almighty with a depth of grisly details we are left waiting for the one person on this world who would prove the match and salvation for him.
When finally his dream-woman appears on the stage Drew begins to wonder about his previous life and at one point I was even hoping that he would gain deliverance from his inner demons. But not all's well if end's well. The plot takes a sharp u-turn and leaves the reader somewhat surprised at the end...

I enjoyed reading this book at more than one chapter, though the grisly details are sometimes a bit overdone in my opinion. The real horror is in imagining the things that aren't there as well as in the real thing - so fewer details would sometimes be better. Mostly reading this book was well not exactly fun as we're talking mass-murder here but quite enjoyable and Mr. Crull's ability to keep the reader interested speaks for itself.


To learn more about Robert E. Crull and his writing please visit his website here.
You can read other reviews @goodreads and you can buy this book as an ebook @smachwords and as a hardcover @amazon.

11 comments:

Pearl said...

Yay to Susi's BF's review! And Susi's first guest reviewer.

As horror is NOT a genre I will ever read this was a great solution Susi. Very nice review BF!!

Hugs,
Pearl

Patti (Book Addict) said...

Love the review! I've been trying to get my Dad and hubs together to review the Sookie books as a "man's point of view" kinda thing but they have so far resisted! Congrats on getting your boyfriend to participate!

Blodeuedd said...

*applauds*
Bravo! I wish I could get my bf to review a book..well read one first ;)

Leontine said...

Whatever you did to get your BF to review can you share the secret? Great review Susi's BF and I agree sometimes the greatest experience of the horror in a book is the imagining of things!

Smokinhotbooks said...

*waves* Hello Susi BF.

Susi how on earth did you get your BF to review a book?!

SusiSunshine said...

@Pearl Love this solution too! LOL

@Patti I love the review too but I'm really biased. I'm really proud of myself too.LOL

@Leontine I kind of just asked him and showed a bit cleavage. Just kidding- or not.

@Smokinhotbooks Again the cleavage!

SusiSunshine said...

@Blodeuedd I totally scrolled over you. *blush* I applauded him too and luckily he is as reading addicted as I am.

Alexia561 said...

Wonderful review Susi's BF! Think this would probably be a little too scary for me, but am very impressed with the review.

I've finally gotten my DH reading more, but he won't review anything...yet. :)

Marissa said...

Wow, applause for BF, mine will never ever do this... well he never reads a book, I read for two LOL.. Although horror is not my thing I liked his review, he should write more!

pattepoilue said...

Why Hello Mister Susi's BoyFriend!

I enjoyed the review, but I'm pretty sure i couldn't stomach this kind of book. This reminds me that i've won a 'Horror Anthology' a few months ago and it's safely hidden far away from my bed...i can't bring myself yo even look at it lol.

Minx said...

Hi Susi's BF *wave* I enjoyed the review, but I think I am too wimpy for this book.

SUSI! I tagged you on Gutter Girls to make your own book boyfriend!

Post a Comment

Stats

Book Lovers Inc.

All the HEAs

3 1/2 stars (1) 4 1/2 stars (1) 4 stars (1) about happy books (1) Allie Beckstrom (1) Allison Brennan (1) Ann Aguirre (2) Anne Stuart (2) Annemarie Hartnett (3) audiobooks (1) baby (2) bags (2) ballwinder (1) Bethany Kane (1) BLI (3) Blodeuedd (1) Blood and Shadows (1) Bolero (1) Book Addiction (1) Book Lovers Inc (4) books (1) Cardigan (5) Carolyn Jewel (1) charlotte Featherstone (1) Chevry (1) Christina Henry (1) covers (6) cowboys (1) craziness (1) Cynthia Eden (1) Darynda Jones (1) Daybreak (2) Deidre Knight (2) Devon Monk (1) diy (1) DNF (1) Earworm of the Week (4) Emma Holly (1) Erin McCarthy (1) erotica (7) eurovision (1) FO Friday (4) Gena Showalter (1) Guest HEAs (3) guest review (1) guestposting (1) hat (1) historical (1) Ilona Andrews (2) inez kelley (2) J.D. Robb (1) Jaci Burton (3) Jean Brashear (1) Jill Sorenson (1) Joely Sue Burkhart (5) Joey W. Hill (1) Julia Barrett (7) Karen MacInerney (1) Keri Arthur (2) Kevin Hearne (1) Kirsten Kapur (1) knitting (8) Kresley Cole (1) Krista D. Ball (1) Lauren Dane (4) Lea closetreader (1) Leanna Renee Hieber (1) Leslie Parrish (1) Lexi Ryan (2) Linda Howard (1) Linda Jones (1) LIsa Kleypas (1) Lorelei James (1) Lucani Lovers (3) Malabrigo Yarn (1) Marked Series (3) Maya Banks (6) megan hart (5) Middlemarch Mates (1) Moira Rogers (8) monthly HEAs (4) Olivia Cunning (1) originally posted at The Geeky Bookworm (86) Paris (1) play by play (1) review (94) Richelle Mead (1) Riley Jenson (2) Robert E. Crull (1) Robyn Carr (2) Rough Riders (1) S.J. Day (3) Sara Brookes (1) Saskia Walker (1) Shannon McKelden (1) shawls (7) Shelley Munro (1) Sherry Thomas (1) Shiloh Walker (2) Sirantha Jax (2) Southern Arcana (3) Stacia Kane (1) Star Runner (1) steeking (1) Stephanie Julian (4) Stephen West (3) Stilettos INC (2) Susi (3) Sweet Series (3) Sydney Somers (1) Taygete (1) Teal Ceagh (3) The Connaghers (2) The Edge Series (1) The House of Rohan (1) The Travises (1) Tina Donahue (2) Tracey O'Hara (1) tracy cooper-posey (1) Victoria Dahl (4) WIP (5) WIP Wednesday (6)

Popular Posts

  © On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 Modified by SusiSunshine   © Secret HEA Society 2010

Back to TOP