Review: Switch by Megan Hart

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Description:

Don't think.
Don't question.
Just do.
The anonymous note wasn't for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the habit of reading other people's mail, but it was just a piece of paper with a few lines scrawled on it, clearly meant for the apartment upstairs. It looked so innocent, but decidedly— deliciously—it was not.

Before replacing the note—and the ones that followed— in its rightful slot, I devoured its contents: suggestions, instructions, commands. Each was more daring, more intricate and more arousing than the last… and I followed them all to the letter.

Before the notes, if a man had told me what to do, I'd have told him where to go. But submission is an art, and there's something oddly freeing about doing someone's bidding…especially when it feels so very, very good. But I find that the more I surrender, the more powerful I feel—so it's time to switch up roles.
We play by my rules now.

Review:

I received this book as a review copy from netgalley and then...uh...kind of bought the book out of my OCD to have the really good books as a print copy.

At first I really loved this cover. It represents the book really well and it is just nice to look at. Then I remembered the discussion about "Is he sniffing his armpit?" (BF thought that too by the way) and now I always have to smile when I look at it.

Just to warn you in advance: I'm such a sucker for Ms. Hart's writing and I can hardly leave out all the adoration and awe I feel while thinking about her books.

Like always while reading a book by this author I was highly surprised to get something different from what I expected. After reading the blurb I thought about a highly erotic game in a D/s relationship. But again this book is so much more.

Paige is a very complex character although her life is nothing exceptional- she is the illegitimate daughter of a businessman and his secretary. She is in her twenties now and already divorced once. She has a strange love for paper and ink and quite quirky boss but otherwise her life is completely ordinary. Until she finds the first note in her mailbox. The note is not for her but who would put a unsealed note down before reading it (not me- I would be reading it ASAP too). And OMG what a message this note is:

Shall we begin?
This is your first list.
You will follow each instruction perfectly. There is no margin for error. The penalty for failure is dismissal.
Your reward will be my attention and command.
You will write a list of ten. Five flaws. Five strength. Deliver them promptly to the address below.
So huh? Now you all feel nosy? I so did. The journey Paige goes with these notes is eye-opening not only for her but for the reader too. Or so it was for me. I really adored the way Ms. Hart developed Paige's view of relationships, men and sexuality through these little notes. I won't tell which direction this takes but it was a surprising one.

On the other hand we have Austin. He is Paige's high school love and ex-husband. Austin has his good and bad sides. I couldn't decide at the start if I liked him or not. But with time he really grew on me and sometimes I was more on his side and would have loved to tell Paige what I think of her decisions.

We also have her sexy neighbor Eric. He's a real eye catcher and a very nice person but was way too nice for me. I was praying the whole time that he would make a move on Paige but you have to read that for yourself. *wicked grin*

This book, as all books by Megan Hart, was a wild ride for me. It's not a great tearjerker as the former books I read but perhaps I got glassy eyes ones or twice. *wink* I always love that her books are so full of emotion and they have such an intense and real feeling that I can only say: you all should read one of her books. Her novels are always so much more for me than just an erotica. Don't get me wrong, I like my erotica smutty and all but hers are always so emotional intense and thought inspiring. It could be that this is only my impression but I just can't stop buying her books (only 2 this week *guilty face*). Megan Hart's writing is a new addiction of mine and I can't wait to get new fix!

To learn more about Megan Hart and her books please visit her website here.

You can read other reviews @goodreads and buy the book @amazon.

11 comments:

The Queen B said...

Great review hun!
I'm supposed to review this one, but I haven't read it yet. I don't know, I'm not sure about this one yet..
::hugs::

pattepoilue said...

'you all should read one of her books'
I'm taking that as a sign of Fate ;) Yes you know this is the excuse i needed to order some Megan Hart lol

Ohh my, the Armpit sniffing...i remember reading that and it totally changed my view of this cover lol There's no going back once you thought about it.

This looks like an amazing book, you convinced me that i should try it. Ok maybe the part where you said you didn't cry as much as with the other books convinced me...i'm willing to start with a 'soft on the crying' book lol...(since i'm talking gibberish I hope you got your Caroline-translator to understand what i'm trying to say LOL i'm just too tired to make sense...does THAT make sense? LOL ok i'm gonna stop talking now *taking crazy pills*...let's go back to bed Smeagol *headdesk*)

I love this review!

SusiSunshine said...

@The Queen B Why are you unsure? I so adore her books and would do anything to read her books.

@pattepoilue ROFL, hun you are just great the way you are and luckily my Caroline translater is integrated in my brain. LOL
You won't regret buying this book.

pattepoilue said...

<3 I love that you get my craziness! *hugs* by the way i'm ordering this book as i speak...well write. *g*

SusiSunshine said...

@pattepoilue You will so love it I swear. Scout's honor or something like that! LOL

Danielle said...

Great review! I always read such great things about Ms. Hart - so much so that I went and bought her e-book 'Dirty', which is now in my TBR pile. Your review has just bumped that book up in my reading queue!

Blodeuedd said...

Lol, I get you. Good books, yes have to have them in print :)

SusiSunshine said...

@Blodeuedd I'm really anal that way. Must have them in print. No way around that!

@Danielle You so have to try her. I bought Dirty and Stranger this week but started Stranger first cuz Lauren Dane said so. I enjoyed every one of her books!

Cecile Smutty Hussy said...

OH gosh, how did you my love for this woman!!!!! I love all of her work!! I have not read this on.. yet! But I am working on it! Great review honey! Awesome job!

Lea said...

Lovely Review Susi!

I have Ms. Hart's "Stranger" here on the shelf and will get to it one of these days.. "yikes"

I've read so much about Megan Hart's work and voice, she definitely seems to have developed her own "niche" as it were. I'm going to try and read "Stranger" when on vacation this year.

Best

Leontine said...

OMG, that quote did it for me! I really want this book now...really, really want that book LOL Wonderful review Susi, you & Fiction Vixen got me all riled up to buy this book :)

Post a Comment

Stats

Book Lovers Inc.

All the HEAs

3 1/2 stars (1) 4 1/2 stars (1) 4 stars (1) about happy books (1) Allie Beckstrom (1) Allison Brennan (1) Ann Aguirre (2) Anne Stuart (2) Annemarie Hartnett (3) audiobooks (1) baby (2) bags (2) ballwinder (1) Bethany Kane (1) BLI (3) Blodeuedd (1) Blood and Shadows (1) Bolero (1) Book Addiction (1) Book Lovers Inc (4) books (1) Cardigan (5) Carolyn Jewel (1) charlotte Featherstone (1) Chevry (1) Christina Henry (1) covers (6) cowboys (1) craziness (1) Cynthia Eden (1) Darynda Jones (1) Daybreak (2) Deidre Knight (2) Devon Monk (1) diy (1) DNF (1) Earworm of the Week (4) Emma Holly (1) Erin McCarthy (1) erotica (7) eurovision (1) FO Friday (4) Gena Showalter (1) Guest HEAs (3) guest review (1) guestposting (1) hat (1) historical (1) Ilona Andrews (2) inez kelley (2) J.D. Robb (1) Jaci Burton (3) Jean Brashear (1) Jill Sorenson (1) Joely Sue Burkhart (5) Joey W. Hill (1) Julia Barrett (7) Karen MacInerney (1) Keri Arthur (2) Kevin Hearne (1) Kirsten Kapur (1) knitting (8) Kresley Cole (1) Krista D. Ball (1) Lauren Dane (4) Lea closetreader (1) Leanna Renee Hieber (1) Leslie Parrish (1) Lexi Ryan (2) Linda Howard (1) Linda Jones (1) LIsa Kleypas (1) Lorelei James (1) Lucani Lovers (3) Malabrigo Yarn (1) Marked Series (3) Maya Banks (6) megan hart (5) Middlemarch Mates (1) Moira Rogers (8) monthly HEAs (4) Olivia Cunning (1) originally posted at The Geeky Bookworm (86) Paris (1) play by play (1) review (94) Richelle Mead (1) Riley Jenson (2) Robert E. Crull (1) Robyn Carr (2) Rough Riders (1) S.J. Day (3) Sara Brookes (1) Saskia Walker (1) Shannon McKelden (1) shawls (7) Shelley Munro (1) Sherry Thomas (1) Shiloh Walker (2) Sirantha Jax (2) Southern Arcana (3) Stacia Kane (1) Star Runner (1) steeking (1) Stephanie Julian (4) Stephen West (3) Stilettos INC (2) Susi (3) Sweet Series (3) Sydney Somers (1) Taygete (1) Teal Ceagh (3) The Connaghers (2) The Edge Series (1) The House of Rohan (1) The Travises (1) Tina Donahue (2) Tracey O'Hara (1) tracy cooper-posey (1) Victoria Dahl (4) WIP (5) WIP Wednesday (6)

Popular Posts

  © On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 Modified by SusiSunshine   © Secret HEA Society 2010

Back to TOP