Review: Captured by Julia Rachel Barrett

Friday, January 15, 2010

Description:
Mari wakes naked, on the cold metal floor of a cargo cage. She has been captured by an alien trapper, Ekkatt, a man of Attun-Ra. Her destination is the meat market. Her only hope of survival is to connect with Ekkatt. She never expects to fall in love with him.


Review:


First thing I have to say is: I so love science fiction! I really adore this genre with all those little techy things in the mix with great action and a bit of romance or even erotica. I always enjoy reading about the social problem in foreign societies as a mirror of our own- present or past. In my opinion, we grab these things better when we have a little distance to the ones that are accused. And isn't it a nice way when the accused are sexy big men with long silky blue-black hair and yellow feline eyes? Very nice way in my opinion.

The book starts a bit alarmingly. We wake up together with Mari in a room full of naked woman in cages, not only human ones but many different species, and two hunky men watching over them. First thing I thought was: OMG not the Stockholm syndrome again! But after that I thought: isn't it greedy to have a whole ship of sex-slaves? But as it shows it's not the way my dirty mind pictured it. The women aren't kidnapped to being raped, their even worse future is being sold on the meat market. Yep, you read that right! There are species enjoying nothing more than a human steak. So ick!!!! But okay, we need a bad party in this book. Even worse for me was the attitude of the "smugglers"(who are vegetarians by the way- love that part). They think humans are nothing more than animals without any feelings and higher cognitive functions. You feel charmed already?

So how does it work out that Mari fells in love with one of them? Ekkatt isn't like the most of his species. He sees from the first minute after Mari woke up on the ship that she is different than all the other women he has transported. She's brave and totally able to form coherent sentences and to argument with logic. Why is that so surprisingly for him? Because no women ever before woke up on a transport.

Mari is a real strong heroine. She doesn't cower even in her severe situation and tries to be brave enough to live through it all. Her will to live is unbreakable and she sees her chance in the handsome Ekkatt. She notices that he isn't convinced of her being a stupid animal. So she grabs all her wit and courage to make him free her or at least help her.



Ekkatt's character is unbelievable open for someone being raised in such a society. He is headstrong and has a pure moral attitude towards life no matter the species. As soon as he realizes what the authorities plan to do to Mari he has to do something to prevent this. This decision is a really big one and if someone catches him he will be punished by death. But nothing will sway him from this point.

These two have seriously chemistry going on and I'm again surprised that luckily the aliens fit us anatomically. LOL I enjoyed reading about these two. Their interactions are lovely and they are both so concerned for each others- that just melted my heart. The way Mari showed Ekkatt what kissing is was adorable. I loved that Ms. Barrett also include a language barrier between our couple. The way Mari described some words to Ekkatt was just hilarious.

As you may have noticed, I really liked this book but 2 things were a bit of a letdown for me. First, there was a revelation from Mari's near personal past I found a bit too much. I thought this(Sorry I can't say what) would influence her decisions differently but I can accept that as a minor fault. The bigger problem for me was the ending. It was kind of abrupt and I still had so many open questions. It was a bit unsatisfying to end this book at exactly this point. But I hope we will get a second book in this world that will hopefully answer my questions.

After all I recommend this book to all of you with at least a small interest in science fiction with the right amount of social struggles and a hot romance in the mix.




To learn more about Julia Rachel Barrett please visit her website here and her blog here.
And please come back next Tuesday(Jan 19th) for a guestpost and a giveaway with Julia.

Read other reviews @
goodreads
Buy this ebook @
bookstrand

15 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

What, oh gross! I read meat market but still thought oh sex slaves, but as real meat.
Wow, sounds interesting for sure

SusiSunshine said...

@Blodeuedd Yep, real meat and all. SO icky. But the bad guys have to really bad. LOL

Julia Barrett said...

Thanks for the fun review, Susie. Yup, the meat market! The truth is, I dreamed this book from start to finish - every detail. I'm waiting for another dream about the second book. The true story behind the dream is that I lost an hour of my life once while collecting eggs and perhaps this is what happened during that time? If you believe in multiple dimensions and lives...julia

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

This one is definitely on my TBR list, Julia!

Tina Donahue said...

Sounds like an amazing read, Julia - can't wait to get it!

pattepoilue said...

I just couldn't imagine how an alien story would appeal to me.This proves me wrong...it DOES look interesting! I haven't read many science fiction books but i'm starting to realize that i really enjoy reading science fiction, romance science fiction is only one step away ;)

Regina Carlysle said...

Yummers, Julia! Love this concept.

Julia Barrett said...

I kind of don't think of the story as an alien love story - I think of it more as a clash of cultures and a look deep inside oneself and asking questions - Mari calls Ekkatt's entire world view into question.

Katalina Leon said...

Julia Barret handles difficult material beautifully. Go for the ride!
XXOO Kat

Fran Lee said...

I read this one in four hours...could not put it down!

Smokinhotbooks said...

Oh this review made me lil sci-fi heart go pitty pat. Where did you get this one Susi?

Julia Barrett said...

Thanks, Frannie - glad you stopped by. Smokinhotbooks, you can get this book at Siren-Bookstrand. I have another 4-book futuristic sci fic series coming out in July and August - Daughters of Persephone. You can email me at Julia@JuliaRachelBarrett.com and I can maybe hook you up with a copy. I am a sci fi freak! julia

SusiSunshine said...

@Julia I so hope you get that dream soon!

@Cindy Good choice!

@Tina It really was.

@pattepoilue As I said, science fiction is one of my favorite genres. I blame my dad. Thank god, he doesn't know what kind of scifi books I read now. LOL You would really like this, I'm sure

@Katalina I so agree.

@Fran Yes, it was a real fast read.

@Smokinhotbooks I so knew you would like that and I think Julia already answered your question. ;)

Alexia561 said...

Agree with Blodeuedd that I thought "sex slaves" when you mentioned "meat market" and that an actual meat market is totally gross!

Love the idea of Mari having to use her intelligence to save her life as opposed to waiting for the hero to save her because she's beautiful! Can't stand passive heroines.

Great review Susi!

Smokinhotbooks said...

You also have a series about Persephone {sequel}?!!!!!! Greek mythology and sci-fi are my favorite genres to read.

I will check this out for sure ;)

Post a Comment

Stats

Book Lovers Inc.

All the HEAs

3 1/2 stars (1) 4 1/2 stars (1) 4 stars (1) about happy books (1) Allie Beckstrom (1) Allison Brennan (1) Ann Aguirre (2) Anne Stuart (2) Annemarie Hartnett (3) audiobooks (1) baby (2) bags (2) ballwinder (1) Bethany Kane (1) BLI (3) Blodeuedd (1) Blood and Shadows (1) Bolero (1) Book Addiction (1) Book Lovers Inc (4) books (1) Cardigan (5) Carolyn Jewel (1) charlotte Featherstone (1) Chevry (1) Christina Henry (1) covers (6) cowboys (1) craziness (1) Cynthia Eden (1) Darynda Jones (1) Daybreak (2) Deidre Knight (2) Devon Monk (1) diy (1) DNF (1) Earworm of the Week (4) Emma Holly (1) Erin McCarthy (1) erotica (7) eurovision (1) FO Friday (4) Gena Showalter (1) Guest HEAs (3) guest review (1) guestposting (1) hat (1) historical (1) Ilona Andrews (2) inez kelley (2) J.D. Robb (1) Jaci Burton (3) Jean Brashear (1) Jill Sorenson (1) Joely Sue Burkhart (5) Joey W. Hill (1) Julia Barrett (7) Karen MacInerney (1) Keri Arthur (2) Kevin Hearne (1) Kirsten Kapur (1) knitting (8) Kresley Cole (1) Krista D. Ball (1) Lauren Dane (4) Lea closetreader (1) Leanna Renee Hieber (1) Leslie Parrish (1) Lexi Ryan (2) Linda Howard (1) Linda Jones (1) LIsa Kleypas (1) Lorelei James (1) Lucani Lovers (3) Malabrigo Yarn (1) Marked Series (3) Maya Banks (6) megan hart (5) Middlemarch Mates (1) Moira Rogers (8) monthly HEAs (4) Olivia Cunning (1) originally posted at The Geeky Bookworm (86) Paris (1) play by play (1) review (94) Richelle Mead (1) Riley Jenson (2) Robert E. Crull (1) Robyn Carr (2) Rough Riders (1) S.J. Day (3) Sara Brookes (1) Saskia Walker (1) Shannon McKelden (1) shawls (7) Shelley Munro (1) Sherry Thomas (1) Shiloh Walker (2) Sirantha Jax (2) Southern Arcana (3) Stacia Kane (1) Star Runner (1) steeking (1) Stephanie Julian (4) Stephen West (3) Stilettos INC (2) Susi (3) Sweet Series (3) Sydney Somers (1) Taygete (1) Teal Ceagh (3) The Connaghers (2) The Edge Series (1) The House of Rohan (1) The Travises (1) Tina Donahue (2) Tracey O'Hara (1) tracy cooper-posey (1) Victoria Dahl (4) WIP (5) WIP Wednesday (6)

Popular Posts

  © On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009 Modified by SusiSunshine   © Secret HEA Society 2010

Back to TOP